Issuing Credits (A/R) Follow
Sometimes you have to give money back to a customer. You can do this by 1) writing a check to refund money you received from the customer, or 2) issuing a credit to the customer against current or future balances.
A. Writing a check to refund money:
If this money was applied to an invoice in Printer’s Plan, please see “Correcting Invoices”. This process does not create a credit in the customer’s account.
B. Issuing a credit against current or future balances:
Each of the following processes creates a credit in customer’s account.
a. Credit created as a result of an overpayment or an advance payment:
This process is explained in Receiving Payments.
b. Credit created at the customer’s request:
Sometimes the customer wants you to issue a credit towards current or future invoices for various reasons. An example: He has paid an invoice but is not satisfied with the job and returns it. Instead of asking for a refund, he asks you to issue a credit.
The procedure to issue a credit for condition (b) is explained below.
Issuing a Credit
To issue a Credit for a customer:
1. In A/R, click Credits and then Due.
2. Click New at the top of the screen.
The Find window appears.
3. In By this field column, select Customer’s Name.
4. In the If the field column, make a selection.
5. In the Enter Text field, enter a few letters of the customer’s name, and click Find Now. The Credit window appears.
6. In the Adjustment +- field, enter the credit amount as a positive number.
7. In the Reason for Adjustment field, make a selection which serves as a future reference for you. (The customizable Reason for Adjustment list is user defined in Settings | Accounting | Credit Reasons.)
8. Click Save.
NOTE: Credits entered with the above procedure do not add a payment to the system.
Therefore, do not use the Credit window to enter advance payments, which should be
entered instead in the Payment window of the customer. (See “Receiving Payments”.)
NOTE: You can open the Credit window also from the Customer setup window in the
Applying a Credit to an Order and an Invoice
If a customer has a credit on his account, you can apply it to his Order(s) in the Jobs section or to his invoice(s) in the A/R section.
Applying a Credit to an Order
1. In the Jobs section, open the Order.
When there is a credit on the customer’s account, the credit amount shows in red (while a Balance Due would show in green).
2. Click Credit Due… The following window appears.
3. Click Yes to apply the credit to this Order. If you click No, the Deposit window opens but the credit is not applied.
Applying a Credit to an Invoice in A/R
1. Open the Payment window of the customer as if you’re going to apply a payment to an invoice (See “Receiving Payments”). Printer’s Plan shows a window notifying you of the credit due and asks if you want to apply it to an invoice.
2. Click Yes, and the Payment window opens.
A description of the fields in the Payment window follows:
Type : Ignore this field because the selection in this field is not saved when you apply a credit.
Ref. : Printer’s Plan automatically fills in this field as CreditUsed.
Amount : The credit due is automatically assigned to this field.
3. Check the invoice(s) to which you want to apply the credit.
4. Click one of the Save buttons to close the Payment window.
Viewing the Existing Credits
You can view a list of the customers with credits on their accounts. The list also shows the total amount of credit on each customer’s account.
1. In A/R, open Credits and click on Due. A list of customers with credits on their accounts
To view the credit due to only one customer:
1) Open Credits and right-click on Due. A short menu appears.
2) Select Add Filter…. The Find window appears.
3) Enter the customer’s name or number and click Find Now.
4) The customer’s name and the total credit due to the customer appear on the right.
2. Double-click a customer in the list to view that customer’s Credit window.
Editing the Credit Due on a Customer’s Account
Sometimes you may need to edit the amount of credit due to a customer. An example of such a situation may be: After delivering a job to the customer, the customer claims that he received less than the quantity he had ordered. To compensate for the error, you issue a credit to the customer. Later the customer discovers the missing package and notifies you that the shipment was complete after all.
To edit the credit:
1. Open the Credit window of the customer. (See Figure 1.)You can open the Credit window also by double-clicking the customer’s name in the Credits Due list (See Figure 3.)
2. Enter the adjustment amount in the Adjustment +- field.
- Enter a positive number to increase the credit amount.
- Enter a negative number to reduce the credit amount. (To delete the total credit amount, enter the Current Credit Due amount as a negative number.)
3. Click Save.
You can view all the credit transactions within any date range.
Click Details under Credits to list all the credit transactions in your Printer’s Plan. This list may be too long and include the transactions you don’t care to view right now. To shorten the list, you can filter it for a date range or some other criteria. To do so:
1. Right-click on Details. A short menu appears.
2. Select Add Filter…. The Find window appears where you can select the criteria, such as the Date range or just one customer or both.
3. Click Find Now to display the information.
JobNo column: For credits applied to invoices, this column shows the invoice numbers. For credits entered, this column shows 0 since credits entered into customers’ accounts are not associated with invoices.
ID column: Information in this column is for Printer’s Plan technical support use only.
Please ignore this column.
NOTE: The credit details for one customer are also available from the Credit window of that
customer. Click the Adjustment History button on this window.
The Credit History window appears.
NOTE: The same Credit and Credit History windows for a customer are also available from
the customer’s setup window in the Customers section. See the figure below.