This article will explain how to set up the email functionality within Printer's Plan as well as how to configure your email templates.
SMTP Client Gude
Please use the document linked below to set up the email functionality within Printer's Plan. This document also includes information regarding setting up Google app passwords as well as the proper configuration for Office 365 email within Printer's Plan.
SMTP Client Guide PDF document.
Added SMTP Features
In the 2020.05 update of Printer's Plan, new features to expand the SMTP settings were added.
- Now multiple email addresses can be sent to if the addresses are separated by the character ';'
- There is a Send Folder customization to assist with proper IMAP configurations for those who previously had issues.
- There is now a 'Default HTML Mode' to allow switching between preconfigured preview mode or an 'Edit' mode.
Once the SMTP client is set up properly, emails should be generated from within Printer's Plan using the templates that are available in the Printer's Plan files. These files are typically found in the Printer's Plan folder with a folder labeled 'Email'.
Locating Printer's Plan Email Templates
The standard installation location on a Windows PC is 'C:\Printers Plan'. This is for local installation. You may also access Printer's Plan through a network, in which case the Printer's Plan files may be located in a shared network folder.
If using Cloud-Hosted Printer's Plan the Printer's Plan files will be located on the cloud-hosted machine that was configured for the company to use.
In order to check to see if these files exist locally, check the 'C:\Printer's Plan' folder on the machine being used to configure SMTP. If there is a folder called Email then these are the files that need to be updated before using.
If there are no files in this folder, then this workstation may be accessing a networked location. Look within Printer's Plan under the Home tab and select 'My Database'. On this page, there will be a file path ending with the file 'plandata.mdb'. This is where the workstation's database is being stored and the Email folder is likely in the same location.
Once the proper 'Email' folder has been located, the email template files within can be customized.
Customizing Email Templates
Within the Printer's Plan 'Email' folder there are many text file templates as well as HTML based templates. Each of these files needs to be updated or customized before using the templates.
On each text template, there is unique information that needs to be updated or removed. This example will show the 'Quote' text template.
- The top of the template has a subject line that contains a single variable. This information is underlined in ORANGE above.
- The templates contain variables that pull job information. These are underlined in RED.
- The signature of the template contains 'Success Press' as the company and an example phone number. Both of these need to be updated with company information.
Each template will need to be updated to suit the company's needs and reflect the correct information. Attached to this guide is a file called 'Email Help' that is also found in the Email folder by default.
Updating HTML Email Templates
HTML templates are a relatively new feature that was implemented in 2019 Printer's Plan. Please use the guide below to update your HTML templates.
Sending Emails Using Printer's Plan
Once the email provider's information has been entered into the SMTP Settings menu, check the 'Enable SMTP' box to begin sending emails using this configuration.
There are 2 ways to send emails from Printer's Plan:
- Using the Print Window to Send Email: Select a job or quote and use the 'Email' button at the top of Printer's Plan to send a form letter. Once selected a prompt to choose a template will appear.
This gives more freedom to select what template you want to use based on why you are emailing the customer on this job.
- Using the Email button: Select and open a quote or invoice and choose 'Print'.
- In the print window settings, there is an option for 'Email PDF' which will default to using the template associated with the type of attachment being sent. If sending an invoice then the invoice template will be selected automatically.
Historically this feature would open up the email client used by the workstation such as Outlook or Thunderbird and pull the template information into the client as well as automatically attach the document.
Now, this feature will open up an email window within the program and allow for previewing of the document as well as adding or editing information being sent. The person the email is sending to can be customized as well.
If everything appears correct, then click SEND to send the email.
Troubleshooting Email Failures
If the email that is sent fails to send the program may not give detailed information on why there was a failure. This is where the 'SMTP Logs' come in to play. By reviewing the logs, more information can be learned about why the email failed.
Typical reasons for failure to send:
- Incorrect email password
- 'App password' is required based on the user's email security settings.
- Incorrect SMTP port mapping
The logs for any email failures can be found in the Printer's Plan directory in the 'Logs' folder. In this location, there will be a new folder created called 'SMTPLogs' and within that folder will be a file labeled 'Smtp_Errors_Log'.
This log file is somewhat difficult to read but some information can be found. Look for any instances of the words 'error' or 'failed' and look for references of what the error is and why it failed.
Below is an example of how the logs represent failures and reasons.
Further assistance is offered by our support team.