How to Use and What to Know About the PDFLib Block Tool Follow
The PDFLib Block tool is used for creating the variable fields in EzMerge Templates. This tool can be used to create five different blocks, text line, text flow, image, graphic, and PDF. A prerequisite to this article is installing the PDFLib Block tool, that guide can be found on the PDFLib Block Plugin Installation Mac and Windows. The article after this is learning how to upload the blocked out PDF into MyOrderDesk.
- Text lines are used as either standalone blocks that show information or as field filling blocks that push their information into the Textflow blocks. When using text lines as field filling blocks, it does not matter how big you make them or where you put them on the PDF. When using them on the proof or production you want to put them relatively close to where they are supposed to be on the PDF.
- Text flows are used to receive and format information provided by the text line blocks. When using text flows, you always want to put the box around the area you wish to fill in with the information.
- Images use jpegs and pngs to input pictures into the proofs.
- Graphics are for vector files.
- PDFs are used to input images. This is the recommended format for customer uploads.
How to create variable text fields for EzMerge templates:
This section is for getting familiar with how the tool works, and how to actually create the blocks.
- Open up the PDF in Adobe Acrobat.
- Click on PDFLib Blocks in the upper left.
- Click on PDFLib Block Tool, ensure that it has a checkmark next to it.
- You should notice now your mouse has turned into a small cross with a dot in the center.
- Once you see this crosshair, you can begin building the blocks.
- Click and drag a box, this will open another window that allows you to name the block and choose which type of block it is.
An important note to keep in mind when naming your blocks is that the block name cannot be changed within MyOrderDesk. If you wish to change it, you will need to change it in the PDF then reupload the template to MyOrderDesk.
Once you have your blocks all set up you can watch a video Here that goes over how to build a simple EzMerge business card and find documentation on editing your settings in the Formatting EzMerge Fields & Settings Article