The MyOrderDesk solution has some powerful automated notification tools to help customize your communication with your customers and provides them with links and information they may need. You may navigate to the notifications section by clicking on your admin bar and going to Site Settings > Notifications.
There are many notification templates used throughout MyOrderDesk. For a list of each notification and its description read Email and Alert Notification Descriptions. You can customize the default text that we have in these notifications by selecting the notification from the list, and selecting the Edit button. The Subject Line, Message and Signature areas are all customizable.
From the table that list the various notifications, you will see that there is a column to let you know if you have already customized that particular notification or not. If you select the icon "..." it will open up an additional view that will list out the various customizations, and allow you to link directly to them. The first page link will display the plain text version, the second one will display the HTML version.
This article will cover the most commonly used notifications and the aspects used in customizing them.
The two most common notifications are Job Received in the Job Confirmations to Customer List and the New Job Received in the Notification to Shop List.
- Job Received in the Job Confirmations to Customer
- This confirmation will be sent to the end-user placing the order after the order has been submitted.
- New Job Received in the Notification to Shop
- This confirmation will be sent to the employees after the order has been submitted.
After selecting the notification, you will see a dropdown labeled Use with. Select Cart Based Orders. This will apply to most if not all order forms used on the site. If you are using non-cart based forms, select the other selection. You can also have a different message sent for each of the non-cart based Order Forms on the site by selecting it from this list. Leave this as is and the standard All Order Forms (Default)" will be used.
- Email Format The default format that these notifications are sent at HTML. There is a fall back of plain text in case the users email does not support HTML. Plain Text is scheduled to be removed at a future date.
Subject line and Source code The subject line of the notifications can only be edited from the source code. To access the source, click the <> on your formatting bar. Add your subject line in between the <title></title> and click ok.
- Formatting Tools All your standard formatting tools can be located here, ranging from alignment to bold and italicizing tools
- Image and URL Links You can create and embed URLs and image links into your notification template by clicking the chain link icon on your formatting bar. A UI will open up allowing you to add the link and label the link. The target dropdown will force the user's browser to open the link in a new tab. Any image links will need to be publicly accessible to load.
Another powerful feature in the MyOrderDesk notifications is the ability to add Merge Fields which allow you to pull data from other sources such as information from the user's profile, specifications from a job, as well as fields from an order form. These Merge Fields can be added to the Subject Line, Message, or Signature. An example of this could be that you want to include the Organization Name, or Division. By selecting the Merge Fields Dropdown, you will see the various bits of information you can add for the specific template you are on. Simply put your cursor at the spot you would like to add a Merge Field and select it from the dropdown. To review a list of each Field link read the article Email Notification Job Field Descriptions. The merge fields must be used EXACTLY as-is, including the beginning and ending brackets.The Merge field can be broken up into parts.
- Current User These fields will pull information from the user's profile. Useful for adding a personal touch.
- Vendor These fields pull vendor information.
- Job These fields pull information from carts or jobs that have been created. Such as totals, taxes, and job number. These are great for recapping information about an order that was placed.
See the screenshot below for the area that lists out the various Merge Fields that can be used.