Printer's Plan has an optional feature called the Shipments & Labels Tool that allows for the tracking of shipping data and the creation of shipping labels. If this feature isn't enabled in Printer's Plan trials of the feature can be requested by submitting a support ticket to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Tracking Shipment Data
Open the job and select Shipments & Labels
Select the item you are creating a record for in the window that opens and in this Shipment window, enter the shipment information for this item.
Once all data is entered there are two options.
- OK: This will save the shipment record
- OK + Add To Print Queue: This will add the data to the print queue for label creation
Once the shipping record is created and added to the print queue, select 'Print Labels' at the bottom of the window.
A window will open where you select the template to use for the label. Select a label to generate a label based on the template.
- In the Printer's Plan directory there will be a folder called 'Shipments' and within that folder will be another folder labeled 'Templates'. This is the default location for templates.
- These templates will be generic by default and will require updating for personalized label creation.
Once the label template is selected the program you are using will open with the template. Depending on the version of Printer's Plan being used, the program may change. The default programs are Microsoft Word for legacy versions and OpenOffice for newer versions.
- Microsoft Word: Works with legacy versions of locally installed Printer's Plan. The data should appear on the template and the only action needed is to verify the information and select ' Print'.
- OpenOffice: Supported on Cloud-Hosted Printer's Plan as well as new installations of newer versions of Printer's Plan. In OpenOffice the default template will open and when you select 'Print' the program will ask to use the database to merge the data. Click 'YES' and in the following window, a preview of the item will display the template that will print.
If any issues prevent printing labels or inaccurate information appears, then there is most likely a database connection issue and the 'Data Source' in Printer's Plan needs to be updated.
This information can be updated in the Printer's Plan main menu or in the Shipments window at the bottom of the window.
This path should be your Printer's Plan directory and is referencing a file called 'Shipping Label.txt'.
If further troubleshooting is needed, the database itself can be used to identify the location of 'Shipping Label.txt'.
Open the Printer's Plan directory and navigate to the Shipments folder and open the 'DataSource' folder. Here will be a single OpenOffice database file. Double-click to open the file called 'PrintersPlan_OpenOffice_Datasource'.
Once open there is an area that can be right-clicked to open a preference window. This window will display the current location of the database's reference file.
Do not change the information in this window. Only use as a reference for where to point Printer's Plan's DataSource.
If any further issues, please contact support.